Sunday, March 26, 2017

#20 Arguement as to whether or not Socrates should not be in hell

Socrates should not be in hell in Dante's Inferno. The only reason people would say that Socrates should be in hell because he was preaching against the Gospel of God. He decided to preach about how he believed that people who worship God are people who do not understand the way the mind of a person with class or wealth functions. Socrates was preaching how people should learn to educate themselves so they could become wise. The crowd of young and wealthy men followed Socrates because they believed in what he was preaching. People did not like that because they felt like Socrates was tainting the young men and anyone else that followed behind him and believed what he preached. Socrates was very influential and could persuade people to agree with his view on religion and life. He apologized for making people think he was using fancy language and for having them feel like he was trying to taint people through his teachings. He also stated why he decided to teach about his views on religion and life. He apologized to the crowd of Athenians for causing such an up roar in their community. What Socrates did was not a sin nor was it harmful for others and himself.

Socrates Apology
“I thought to myself: I am wiser than this man; neither of us probably knows anything that is really good, but he thinks he has knowledge, when he has not, while I, having no knowledge, do not think I have.”
Plato, Apology    
“Men of Athens, I honor and love you; but I shall obey God rather than you, and while I have life and strength I shall never cease from the practice and teaching of philosophy... Understand that I shall never alter my ways, not even if I have to die many times.”
Plato, Apology of Socrates: An Interpretation with a New Translation



“My plainness of speech makes them hate me, and what is their hatred but a
proof that I am speaking the truth.”
Socrates, Apology
“Athenian men, I respect and love you,
but I shall obey the god rather than you...”
Socrates, Apology


“I certainly have many enemies, and this is what will be my destruction if I am destroyed; of that I am certain; not Meletus, nor yet Anytus, but the envy and detraction of the world, which has been the death of many good men, and will probably be the death of many more; there is no danger of my being the last of them.”  
Plato, Apology

Dante's Inferno

“Do not be afraid; our fate
Cannot be taken from us; it is a gift.”
Dante Alighieri, Inferno    

“They yearn for what they fear for.”
Dante Alighieri, Inferno


“My thoughts were full of other things When I wandered off the path.”
Dante Alighieri, Inferno


“FIRST CIRCLE. Here they find the VIRTUOUS PAGANS. They were born without the light of  revelation, and, therefore, they cannot come into the light of God, but they are not tormented. Their only pain is that they have no hope.”
Dante Alighieri, Inferno    


The quotes from Socrates Apology show that Socrates was a man that was well educated.
 They also show that he was apologetic but he did not regret what he did or said. Also he did not regret how his teachings had an influence on people. The quotes from Dante's Inferno show that people were afraid to speak on what they truly thought and felt so they conformed. Socrates did not fit in that group and he was frowned upon just like people in Dante's Inferno. The last quote explains it all that people who lived in the First Circle did not believe in God but they received no type of punishment. Therefore, Socrates should not have been in hell he did nothing wrong; he was just an influential leader that had a lot followers. He was just smarter and outspoken that is why people disliked him and wanted him sentenced to death.

3 comments:

  1. I so agree with your outlook in regards to your thought on Socrates. I felt as if he was a person who stood up for what he thought! great job

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to start off by saying great great post! Well done! I really like how you went into details and explained everything. Great details. I also agree that Socrates should not be in hell.
    Porsha Owens

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great citations. Moreover, I think Socrates was just being truthful in his approach, and trying to open up a more virtuous way of speaking. Jesus did this same thing and was killed for speaking the truth, moreover like Dante said Our fate cannot be taken from us it is a gift.

    ReplyDelete