Sunday, April 9, 2017

#22 The Beauty of Solange's Cranes in the Sky



Cranes in the Sky Lyrics

[Verse 1]
I tried to drink it away
I tried to put one in the air
I tried to dance it away
I tried to change it with my hair


[Verse 2]
I ran my credit card bill up
Thought a new dress would make it better
I tried to work it away
But that just made me even sadder


[Verse 3]
I tried to keep myself busy
I ran around in circles
Think I made myself dizzy
I slept it away, I sexed it away
I read it away

Away

[Refrain 1]
Away, away, away, away, away
Away, away, away, away, away


[Hook 1]
Well it's like cranes in the sky
Sometimes I don't wanna feel those metal clouds
Yeah, it's like cranes in the sky
Sometimes I don't wanna feel those metal clouds


[Verse 4]
I tried to run it away
Thought then my head be feeling clearer
I traveled 70 states
Thought moving round make me feel better


[Verse 5]
I tried to let go my lover
Thought if I was alone then maybe I could recover
To write it away or cry it away
Don't you cry baby

Away

[Refrain 1]
Away, away, away, away, away
Away, away, away, away, away


[Hook 2]
But it's like cranes in the sky
Sometimes I don't wanna feel those metal clouds
Yeah, it's like cranes in the sky
Sometimes I don't wanna feel those metal...


[Refrain 2]
Away, away, away, away, away
Away, away, away, away, away
Away, away, away, away, away
Away, away, away, away, away
Away, away, away, away, away
Away, away, away, away, away



The lyrics to this song are describing how Solange tried everything in her power that she can think of to get rid of the pain she was feeling inside. She uses different methods to try to escape all of  the hurt she felt from her divorcing from her late husband. She uses the metaphor "It's like cranes in the sky" to describe how her relief from all the pain she felt inside was finally gone and she was set free. The flight of a crane is one that is gentle and smooth. They glide through the sky as if they have no trouble in the world. The beauty in this song is that she described her pain in a few words and repetitive phrases. She repeats away in the refrains to describe her sense of freedom from the divorce and unpleasant marriage. Moreover, she says "Sometimes I don't want to feel those metal clouds"; this metaphor describes how she does not want to feel pain at times; just as a crane does not fly high up into the clouds because it is not in their nature to do so because it keeps them from the dangers of flying to high and the clouds. The beauty also comes into play at the end of the song, when she hits the high note and uses her vibrato to show the release of the pain. This song shows how love can become poisonous and once you suck the venom out of your system (hence the divorce) you are healthy, happy, and pleasant again.

No comments:

Post a Comment